Tuesday, December 17, 2013

'I can’t wait to do my own Christmas Jar for someone even more deserving than I am'

I wanted to share how your book Christmas Jars has blessed me this glorious Christmas season. On June 3rd of this year, I walked away from my job at a local Christian elementary school after a major difference of opinion. I wasn’t willing to compromise my beliefs in what I was doing with God’s little ones so I prayed long and hard for God to show me the path to take.

In walking away I was taking a significant leaf of faith. I have been a single mom for the past 11 year…since my husband walked in one evening and told me he was never meant to be a husband and father… with no other source of income other than my salary. He was ordered to pay $125.00 a week in child support but never did. I was counting on approximately $18,000 in back support that was due to me in January 2014 but it was wiped clear when he filed for and was granted an order of bankruptcy this past September. I was walking away from an annual income of around $60,000 and would not be eligible for unemployment benefits.

During these past 6 months, I have submitted over 100 applications (142 to be exact) to private/public schools, churches, hospitals, restaurants, and retail stores. I have over 30 years of experience in education so I am considered ”old and expensive” when it comes to a job even though I feel God is continuing to allow me to grow in this arena.

In late August I was finally offered a job at Target making minimum wage. Wow…this was a major eye-opener to me. No one is capable of living on minimum wage but I was thankful that I had something. During this time in my life, I have managed to keep my head above water but it has been extremely difficult. My savings is quickly dwindling..with the help of a dead stove and having to replace my heating unit just a few weeks ago. My house is in foreclosure but the bank has yet to ask me to move out. For this I am also thankful.

Along the way, I have continued to receive anonymous gifts from my school family. Many of us remain forever entwined by a gracious and loving God. I also see many of these families at the local Target where my co-workers tell me I am ”popular” to which I reply…”no, I am blessed!”.

This brings me to to reason for my correspondence. As I was walking from my daughter’s bedroom this morning, I passed our front door. I remembered our family dog barking wildly around 3:00 this morning. I just chalked it up to the deer that constantly walk our neighborhood but thought I would look out the window just to be sure it wasn’t anything more. I noticed footprints in the still snow covered sidewalk leading up to my front door. 

Since this door is very seldom used, I assumed it was the mailman/UPS guy leaving something on the porch. I opened the door and noticed a brightly wrapped Christmas package. I looked all over to find a name but none was evident. I brought the package back into the house and opened it up to find an empty cashew jar with your book inside. There was also a lot of change in the bottom of the jar. As I took the book out of the jar to see if my benefactor had signed it, a stack of 50s, 20s, 10s, and 5s began to fall out of the book. There was a total of $584.00 (not counting the change) in the book.

I was stunned and immediately fell to my knees and said a prayer (through my tears) for this blessing and the person/people responsible. I have spent my morning reading your book and realizing how truly blessed I have been, not only by the amazing monetary gift, but by the words you wrote on the pages of the book. I found them to be inspirational and I know God will allow me to bounce back. When He does, I can’t wait to do my own Christmas Jar for someone even more deserving than I am.

Thank you for the blessing your book has been to so many just like me…families who are at the edge of despair only to be pulled back by such an outpouring of love and support. While the money in the Christmas jar won’t wash away my worries and concerns for what tomorrow will bring, it does make the next few weeks so much brighter. I will forever be grateful to God placing this book on your heart and the person who picked it up, read it and thought of me.
May you be blessed by Him during this glorious Christmas season. You provide a light to so 
many who may otherwise walk in the dark.

Blessings,
Rebecca Thompson
Proverbs 3:5-6

PS: You may post my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment