Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Jar Story: 'God does work in mysterious ways.'

Summit Hill, PA:

This is my 2nd year giving away a Christmas Jar. Last year I went with my Department at work (Oncology) to give gifts to one of our patients who was struggling financially and medically and my jar was included in the gifts. This year I thought my jar would be going to another patient who we decided to "cheer up" before the Holiday, however I hadn't had the book in time and couldn't give her the jar. Ironically, on my way to work that morning, I had passed a house where the young man had taken his own life a few weeks before Thanksgiving. As I passed the house I thought to myself "hmmm maybe my jar should've went to them" because at that point I thought this years jar would be going to one of my patients. I cannot even explain the emotions that went through me when I found out that the jar would not be going to my patient, and that it would be going to this family instead! God does work in mysterious ways. On Christmas Night, my husband, 10 year old son, and my brother-in-law (who by the way is ready to do his own jar next year!) went to this house. I was able to view the whole thing with my Mother on her deck as it parallels this porch. My husband snuck up and put the jar on the porch, knocked on the window and ran. At this point my heart was in my throat, and tears were in my eyes. I watched as a family member came out looking to see who knocked then walked over and picked up the jar. She then went back into the house with jar and book in hand. I looked up to the sky and said "thank you" because this is the first Christmas without my beloved Grandmother whom we lost in May. And although it was a tough one for us, I know she was watching down on me and helped me get this jar delivered in the hopes that it could brighten this families Christmas too.

Inside my parents house, with all of the culprits involved, I broke down. My daughter said to me "Mom, you didn't know those people did you?" And I answered "Nope, I never met the boy, nor did I ever meet his parents" and that made everything come full ! circle. My jar is already started for next Christmas. And back to that patient from last year....He came into some money in the past couple of months and wants to pay it forward to our Oncology Department for what we did for him last year. The love of the Christmas Jars is alive and well in Carbon County, Pennsylvania!

No comments:

Post a Comment