Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas Jars Story: 'God could see us struggling and sent this Angel to help us'


Springfield, MO:

It was about 9:00 pm. I was in bed because I had an ear infection that had perforated my eardrum a couple of days before. I had just put my little boys to bed a few minutes earlier, although they had not gone to sleep yet. I thought I heard 3 knocks on my front door. My bedroom is toward the back of my home and I wasn't sure if it was someone or if the boys had made the noise from their bedroom. I listened for a few minutes and then heard the doorbell ring. I called a friend on my cell phone because I thought this would make it safer to answer my door at night. You see, I am a single adoptive mother of 3 boys, so I just don't go to the door at night. I couldn't imagine who would be there this late without calling to let me know. I looked out the front glass but did not see anyone standing there. I could tell there was something left on my porch. I opened the door (all the while on the phone with my friend) and there was a jar of money sitting there with a book. The book was Christmas Jars. By then my boys were coming down the hallway wanting to know what was going on. I told them someone had just left us a jar of money on our front porch.

They were so excited. My 10 year-old said, "I think Angels left it." Then he said, "Maybe our Dad left it."

Their Daddy passed away in a drowning accident the year before. By then we were all crying and trying to guess who had left it. Was it a neighbor, was it someone from our church, was it someone I worked with, or was it a stranger?

It has been a real struggle financially to take these three boys into my home. I lost my full-time job with very good benefits and have only been able to find a part-time position. It's a job I enjoy but it is only part-time and I don't receive any benefits. Don't get me wrong, I am VERY thankful that I was offered this job.

Three days ago I had to go to the walk-in clinic because I had a very painful ear infection. I was prescribed a powerful and very expensive antibiotic and had to pay the patient fee up front. I cannot afford the expensive health insurance I was offered after I lost my job and my new job doesn't offer any. By the time I paid for the antibiotic, Tylenol, Pseudoephedrine, and the office visit, it totaled almost $200. Also, my 10 year-old son lost his winter coat at school the week before and we couldn't find it. I didn't know where the money was going to come from to buy him another one. Well, I guess God could see us struggling and sent this Angel to help us.

Thank you to Christmas Jars and to the ALL the Angels who knew we were struggling this Christmas season. I hope I will be able to pay it forward some day.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet story. I have committed to starting my own Christmas jar for 2013, even though I haven't read the book yet. But, giving to someone less fortunate has always been a very important part of my Christmas celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful story. I hope this family gets back on their feet and are able to enjoy Christmas. I am going to start a Christmas Jar for 2013.

    ReplyDelete