Saturday, January 15, 2011

Christmas Jar Story: 'It was a group of kids, but I don't know who they are.'

Berwick, Maine:

I had no idea what a Christmas Jar was until I received one myself. My son is 9 years old and has a developmental disability. He is non-verbal and walks only with assistance. Since he primarily uses a wheelchair, and he is growing bigger, we need a wheelchair accessible van. We set a goal of raising $35,000 by Sept 2011 to buy a used van. With the help of wonderful friends spreading the word, we have almost reached our goal 9 months early. The best part for me has been to see how kids have pitched in. They've given us birthday money, sold crafts, and now this..... the week before Christmas I was home visiting with a friend. When she left, she called me out to say something was on my doorstep. Unbeknownst to us, someone had quietly left a HUGE Christmas jar for my son's van. It was a group of kids, but I don't know who they are. They raised $300!! I'm incredibly grateful for the gift and encouraged by their ability to put others first. They've inspired me to do the same. I've saved that huge bottle and will be rallying my family to start saving now. Who will receive our Christmas Jar next December?

No comments:

Post a Comment