Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Jar Story: 'Thank you for giving my spirits a lift you have touched me deeply'

Brainerd, MN:

Four years ago my husband, the love of my life, was diagnosed with a debilitating, degenerative, genetic disease. It was a shock to the entire family because nobody had any idea that the disease ran in the family, my husband was the first one ever to show any symptoms. These past 4 years have been a mixture of highs and lows for me as my children have entered school, become active in sports, and grown into beautiful, loving, individuals. They bring joy to my life every day. At the same time I am watching my husband's health deteriorate more rapidly each year and it frustrates me that there is nothing anybody can do to stop it. He has not been able to work or drive for 3 years and the whole process has been really hard for me to come to grips with. Needless to say, there are days when I struggle to manage the every day life of my family. Somehow things always seem to work out but it is definately not easy!

On the night of December 23rd when my kids, my husband, and I got home from hockey practice we found a red Christmas stocking sitting in front of the door. I looked at the tag and saw that it was addressed to me personally. I took the stocking in to my bedroom and opened it in private. First I pulled out the book and read the title "Christmas Jars" and inside the cover it said "To _______, Merry Christmas to you and your family". When I pulled out the jar and saw what was inside of it I was immediately overcome with emotion. I didn't know what a Christmas Jar was but I knew it was something special. I knew that someone out there was thinking of me and it made me cry. I started reading the book that night, and every night since, until I was finally able to finish it this morning. I have thought about this special gift several times each day and wondered who the angel behind it is. Whoever you are I cannot thank you enough. Words cannot begin to express how much it means to me to know that someone took the time to show me that my efforts have not gone unnoticed. Thank you for giving my spirits a lift you have touched me deeply and I will forever appreciate that! I will carry on the Christmas Jar tradition and hope that I can touch someone else's life the way that you have touched mine. God bless you, you are truely an angel!!

No comments:

Post a Comment