Monday, January 2, 2012

'This has to be one of the best Christmas' our family has had'


Monticello, Utah:

Several years ago a neighbor gave us a copy of "Christmas Jars".  As is my way, I put it on a shelf and forgot about it as I busied myself with Christmas preparations.  Last year while I was cleaning out cupboards, I came across it and set about reading it.  What an amazing story, the idea you can make such a positive impact with nothing more than the change emptied from pockets at the end of a day.  I was so impressed with the book, I sat my family down each evening and read to them.  We also started our own jar.

Like many others, we struggled with who to give ours to.  So I prayed.  The afternoon of Christmas Eve God answered me.  We knew a couple in our town who were so giving and generous of their time, talents and money that it didn't occur to those who knew them that they were struggling.  But a long forgotten comment from a friend several months ago came back to me and it was decided.  We stopped and picked up some jerkey (they have a dog, friendly, but we didn't want to chance it,) and we drove by their house.  To our dismay it was brightly lit with beautiful Christmas lights.  The curtains were open and all the lights were on.  We parked around the corner and my husband and son picked up the heavy jars.  Everything went smoothly until they heard someone yell, "Who is that!"  I have to say, I've never seen either of them run so fast. This has to be one of the best Christmas' our family has had.  I worry about my children feeling that Christmas is about what is under their tree.  Now, each day as we put our spare change into a large mason jar, we think about what we can do be a positive change in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment