Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas Jars Story: 'I experienced an emotional ... I don't know the word, rush? high? outpouring?'

Madison, Wisconsin:


When Christmas Jars first came out, I fell in love with the book. I imediately gave it to my mom to read, (she gave it to three other people to read.)  I have also given the book to co-workers to read and recommended it to other co-workers out of state.

The first Christmas jar I gave away was to a single mom with three kids who had just found out she was pregnant again.  After I gave the jar, I experienced an emotional ... I don't know the word, rush? high? outpouring?  Everything just burst out like a dam.  My dad thought I was crying because I gave away the jar, but that wasn't it, I was giving the Christmas spirit of generosity.

Tonight, I was meeting my friends at the theater (to see Twilight of all things!) The Badger Honor Flight was there with a display. They are a Wisconsin based group that flies WWII veterans to Washington DC to see the WWII memorial. Before the movie began, I ran home, quickly retrieved my Christmas jar and brought it back to the theater.  I explained the tradition of the Christmas jar and the book that started it all. They were overwhelmed and there were big hugs all around.  

Once again, I experienced that same emotional rush. (I'm still getting teary eyed typing this.)

I just wanted to thank you for writing such a special book and bringing an amazing joy into my life ... just by giving away a simple jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment