Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Jars Story: 'I hope that "the jar" gave them the joy of knowing that there was someone who was thinking of them'

New Philadelphia, Ohio:

I read the book last year but had actually heard about it the year before and started my jar then. Last year I prayed about who should receive our jar and a person was laid on my heart.I added to our jar a gift card to a local grocery store and several bills of various denominations. On the night of giving our jar we attend our church's annual Christmas dinner. The family who was going to receive our jar was there too. My husband and I left the party early so that we could deliver our jar. We had put it in a gift bag with lots of tissue paper and left it hanging on the door knob of their back door. I don't have any idea of their reaction and I am sorry to say that this Christmas the couple is preparing to divorce.I hope that "the jar" gave them the joy of knowing that there was someone who was thinking of them even though we had no idea of their struggles.We are preparing our jar for this year much the same way and we know who will receive it. A young girl who lives on our road whom we have not met but lost her boyfriend last year to a massive heart attack. She is new to this area without much family close by.My husband is suffering from a debilitating health problem but we plan to continue this new tradition.Since we don't buy gifts for each other,we give our "jar" as our gift.Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment