Sunday, January 9, 2011

Christmas Jar Story: My family has been sustained through the kindness and generosity of others

Chicago, IL:

Story: I have breast cancer...but there is more to me. I am a mother of 4 wonderful children, a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a neighbor, a nurse. My children are young and as a mother and an oncology nurse, I was used to helping others. Now, I was the one in need. I have been through difficulties even prior to surgery, chemo and radiation, but seemed to find my way. My road has not been easy. We have been making it...barely I was unaware of the "Christmas Jar" phenomenon. I was stepping out of the shower a few days before Christmas when my husband called me down to the door for a visitor who wanted to see me personally. I went down the stairs to meet an unknown gentleman who knew my name and handed me a mason jar filled with quarters and dollars and a copy of the book. I stood in confusion and awe. He said Merry Christmas, read the book and get online. My words of thanks did not seem like enough...to this man or throughout my cancer treatment. The gestures of kindness and generosity from my family, friends and neighbors have been amazing. Through my illness, our spirits have been uplifted and my family has been sustained through the kindness and generosity of others. I wish I could personally thank the man who dropped the "Christmas Jar"! I would tell him that every penny counts at Christmastime with 4 small children and we are grateful. I would also pass on that I will be passing out this book to family and friends to exponentially increase the spirit of giving to someone in need. Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment